Monday, 15 October 2012

Companions of the Heart?

I've been giving thought to the 'construct' of my spiritual life post-Army.  You may or may not know that Salvationists live by what you'd call a set of vows, a covenant.  As a former officer, I'd been living by the 'Soldier's Covenant' as well as the 'Officer's Covenant'.    The first of those is a generic set of commitments, the officers covenant is a bit more specific to the officer's ministry.

I didn't make either of these covenants lightly, but some aspects of them don't make sense outside The Salvation Army, so I'm looking at them again.  As well as all that, there have been some other useful Kingdom influences informing my discipleship and formation in recent years, so I'm looking at those too.  I've learned that I want to have a framework which isn't dependent on my relationship with any particular denomination...it has to transcend and be complimentary to any of that.

You might wonder why someone would have these covenants/rule of life/vows.  Quite simply they're a framework that I can use to invite others speak into my life constructively.  They function as a 'vision/mission statement' for me as a follower of Jesus.  They also potentially have the value of being something that others may join you in and so just building in that 'accountability' that can helpfully come from mutual relationships.

As I said earlier, I'm looking for some 'Companions of the Heart'....that being a translation of the Old Celtic word Cymbrogi which carries the connotations of covenanted brothers/sisters working together in a particular cause.  Here's what I've written about it so far...maybe it speaks to you...maybe you'd like to join with me in this simple 'rule'? Its not cluttered and 




The Rule of the Companions of the Heart is a simple rule, built upon the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:36 – 40)  and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20).
1.  Authentic:  true to Christ
We are called to love and serve him supremely all of our days.  Jesus is the pattern for life, worship, discipleship and mission.
2.  Relational:  loving our neighbour
We are called to care for the poor, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, love the unlovable, and befriend those who have no friends.  'None of us lives for ourselves' (Ro 14:7)
3.  Missional:  taking the gospel to the nations
We are called to live to spread the fame of Jesus, sharing the Good News of the Kingdom with all peoples.
Living the Questions:
As a dispersed community (if anyone wants to join with me) we might simply live this rule, but continue to inspire each other by saying 'what is God saying to you?', 'what are you going to do about it?' 'How can we help you?'  If people are nearby, maybe opportunities for the occasional gathering...who knows?
There may also be some specific spiritual practices that can be shared...we'll see.  Get in touch privately if you are interested.



2 comments:

  1. "Its not cluttered and " and what? If you sign up god will buy you a mercedes? :-)

    Mercedes or not, it sounds good.

    So this is following on from that mustard seeds thing you posted on facebook?

    I think I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your comment! So used to facebook comments, forgot to look.

    Um, no mercedes (or miracle spring water or holy prayer handkerchiefs).

    Sit with it for a month or so, revisit, see if it sits well, then we can go from there.

    ReplyDelete